Emily is currently working at one of the big four accounting firms as a senior accountant. During university, she accumulated an abundance of part time and full time working experience, including sales, customer service, government tax service and commercial banking.
• Networking is the key
• Get to know the position and company inside out before attending the interview
• Always practice and prepare for the interviews
• Attend as many information session/networking events as possible
Colin currently works as an associate director at a major Canadian bank, mainly covering base metals, bulks, energy and agricultural commodities. At the same time, he also covers equities in a number of specialty sectors with a combined market capitalization of over $100 billion. His team is top-ranked in their coverage universe, as recognized by StarMine, Brendan Wood and Greenwich Associates. Mentor 5 is also a CFA charter-holder.
• Networking is the key • Have something to show case (written report; financial models; etc.) • Keep your options open
Business Analysis & Auditing
Daisy is currently working at a leading Canadian pension fund as a Performance Analyst. Prior to that, she was a staff accountant at one of the big four accounting firm.
• Networking is the key • Have a good CV • Always practice and prepare for the interviews • Sharpen your interview and technical skills and get to know the job that you are applying for will lead you to successful job hunting.
Dan is Product Manager from a major Canadian bank, leading the development of product strategy and strategic partnership. He has extensive experience in Financial Payment industry, primarily concentrated in Marketing Strategy, Business Development, and Strategic Solutions.
• Be targeted • Be proactive • Be prepared
Elly currently works as an ETF analyst at a leading ETF company under the guidance of Senior Vice President and Head of ETFs Canada, assisting with product ideas generation, product development and marketing strategy development. She covers both fixed income and equity ETFs, such as high yield bonds, senior loans, floating rate fixed incomes, U.S. equities, Canadian equities, emerging market equities, and European equities, with a combined AUM over $400 million. At the same time, she also provides insightful market commentary on a variety of topics including current events and industry trends to support the sales team.
1. Network with industry professionals 2. Focus on two industries you are interested and understand these industries 3. Develop your skill sets around the positions you are interested and customize your resume and cover letter
Management Consulting & Life Science
Livia currently works as a management consultant at a Big Four Accounting Firm in Toronto. She has an industry focus in healthcare and has been involved in multiple projects in both public and private healthcare sector, with specific experience in strategy, operations, and system redesign. In her most recent project, she collaborated with top leaders in the provincial government, engaged more than 200 stakeholders, and was involved in the development of a 10-year capacity plan for healthcare operations. Prior to her consulting career, she was heavily involved in biomedical and neuroscience research in the United States, with special interest in human brain activities that are associated with learning and addiction. She holds a biomedical engineering degree from Duke University and an MBA from Rotman School of Management.
1. Really understand what ""consulting"" is.
2. Really know your strength and know how to play to your strength
3. Interview and resume prep is extremely important, more than networking (this is for consulting specifically)"
Sherry currently works as a Manager at the commercial banking arm of a Crown Corporation devoted exclusively to helping Canadian businesses become the most competitive in the world. She mainly drives growth of Canadian private enterprises by being a trusted advisor to the C-level executives with strategic consulting and commercial lending. Prior to the Crown Corporation, she was one of the twenty recent graduates in Canada selected out of over 2,000 applicants across the country to take part in the rigorous Commercial Banking Graduate Development Program of a global leading bank, which marked the beginning of her commercial banking career. She was promoted within six months from a Graduate Trainee to a Commercial Banking Relationship Manager where she managed a portfolio of 186 accounts, of which most were international businesses. Other than work, She is an active professional within the business community. She is an Associate Director at the Richmond Hill, Markham & Vaughan Chinese Business Association (formerly known as RHMCBA), an executive at Asians Without Borders (AWB), and an events committee organizer at the Association of Chinese Canadian Entrepreneurs (ACCE). She holds a Bachelor of Business Administration degree with Honours from the Schulich School of Business.
1. It's not what you know, but often who you know that can get you the job. In order to meet the right decision makers in the industry, you have to put yourself out there by attending different professional networking events and develop a memorable pitch about yourself.
2. Use LinkedIn to connect with recruiters, hiring managers, and senior employees at the company you are aiming for, and schedule brief phone chats/coffee chats with them to learn more about your desired job.
3. Customize your resume and cover letter to the exact job description (focus on key words) to boost the chances of your application advancing to the next stage of the recruitment process. Avoid sending out a generic resume and cover letter.
With 8 years of experience, Bill held various roles in the wealth management industry. Currently, his focus is on designing and creating investment products and business solutions for all markets at a leading Canadian bank. He is responsible for developing and launching new investment products, overseeing product life cycle and managing asset growth through various business channels for one of the major Canadian banks. In addition, Bill also has prior experience in operation efficiency, process improvement, and information technology.
Preparation, Preparation, Preparation!!!
Financial Analysis & Consulting
Steven is a Finance Analyst at a leading Canadian Bank, responsible for corporate financial analysis, planning and forecasting, as well as retail bank performance analysis for the bank’s Direct Channels & Marketing functions. In this capacity, he supports the team overseeing over $2 billion expenses budget and provides value added advisory to the Bank's Board of Directors. Prior to that, Stanley was Manager, Strategy and Finance at a boutique workers compensation consultancy which specializes at providing strategic forecasts and cost control on workers' compensation for employers across North America. He also holds an MBA and HBA from the Ivey Business School, graduating Magna Cum Laude.
1. Networking is the key
2. Strong delivery is the only way to show your skills
3. Good things take time
Rita has completed her master and bachelor degrees at the Richard Ivey School of Business and is pursuing a career as a financial planner with a leading Canadian bank. Despite the fact that she is the youngest Financial Planner of the bank in the Great Toronto Area, she is ranked as the top 10% Planner in the region. She has also successfully pass all the required exams for Certified Financial Planner (CFP) designation in the first attempt. She enjoys meeting new people and travel during her spare time.
1. Networking is the key, its not about what you have on your resume, its about who you are connected with. Use Linkedin, your alumni network, friend circle to arrange coffee chats.
2. Always be prepared, if your join requires you to know about the market, read the news everyday. Do not start preparing one day before your interview.
3. Know what you want and explore your options, you can only be the best of you when you love your job. So spend time on finding the area that suits your strength.
Asset Management & Auditing
Sandy currently works as a Hedge Fund Analyst at a specialist alternatives advisory firm, covering US Credit/Fixed Income Hedge Funds focus on distressed, structured credit, direct lending strategies. She also covers certain Private Equity funds with a strategy focus on credit. The company’s clients have invested over $400bn in alternative investments across hedge funds, private equity funds, real assets and real estates. Previously, she worked at a big four accounting firm in the Financial Institutions group where she audited insurance companies, hedge funds and private equity funds.
Risk management & Prime Brokerage & Business Analysis
James is currently a manager at a leading Canadian Bank in the Forecasting and Analysis team for the Canadian Retail Segment. The team provides the senior executives with strategic business analysis as well as actionable insights. Prior to joining the retail space he was a key member to the bank's $90MM plus Prime Brokerage acquisition in the US. He had held increasing senior positions from Risk Management, Projects and Finance dealing with wide range of line of businesses i.e. Fixed Income, Institutional Equities, Corporate and Investment Banking and Prime Brokerage.
1. Being able to read/ interpret your audience is a key to networking and interview.
If you are talking about bonds with an equity trader, you are highly unlikely to understand your audience.
Bank Treasury & Balance Sheet Management
Estella currently works as an Senior Treasury Analyst at a major Canadian bank. Her job mainly focuses on capital management & Balance Sheet Strategy, performing analysis on capital position and advise on the bank's practice to implement evolving regulations. She also works to support the bank's strategic decisions on capital activities, including share and debt instrument issuance, and hedging activities.
1. Read the annual report which contains tons of info to help to understand the department to prepare valuable questions. Show curiosity and eagerness to learn
2. Prepare stories to demonstrate the required skills
3. Networking is necessary for jobs which aren't usually open to graduate students
Corporate Banking & Project Finance
Annie is a Corporate Banker at a global leading bank with comprehensive knowledge and considerable experience in financing multinational Large Corporates and Middle Market Corporates in the Diversified Industry. She is also very well experienced in project finance for television programme and feature film production in the Media & Entertainment Sector. She is a Rotman Commerce graduate from University of Toronto.
1. Work on your resume (that's the key to get an interview)
2. Talk to people and figure whether what they are doing is what you would really like to do
3. Know your story
Risk Management & Trading
Amanda has extensive experience in Trading (FX, Fixed Income, IRS) and Institutional Sales specialised in FX, Interest Rate Derivatives, TRS, and other Structured notes.
She has solid knowledge in Market risk management : VaR, Stressed VaR, Stress Testing, Greeks, Evaluating trading portfolio exposure.
Preparation, Networking, and never give up
Prior to join the Imperial Service (high net worth client) team at a Canadian leading bank’s main branch, she was a top performer Senior Financial at another leading Canadian bank. She consistence providing excellent client service and advices in investment planning and credit planning for high net worth clients. She holds a Master of International Business from Smith school of Business (Queen's University). She is currently a CFA level 3 candidate and CFP candidate.
networking event, company info session, head hunter.
Hedge Fund & Private Equity
Ruby joined a leading Canadian hedge fund as an Investment Analyst in July, 2014 and was promoted to Vice President in March 2017. Prior to that, Rachel worked as an investment analyst at top tier private equity in China, where she was part of the private equity team and conducted fundamental analysis and due diligence in the consumer and TMT sectors.
1. High GPA
2. Enormous interview prep
Knowledge of the company
Capital Markets & Risk & trading
Yolanda currently works as a senior analyst in a Canadian big five bank’s Wholesale banking's residential mortgage trading team, mainly covering help the bank participate in CMHC's MBS program and other residential mortgage securitization programs.
Linda is a machine learning practitioner as the research developer at a Canadian big five bank’s Fintech Research Lab. His interests include the state-of-the-art deep learning and reinforcement learning algorithms and their applications to real world problems. He also has experience in computational engineering and finance.
Be good at what you do and be confident. Be truly passionate about what you want do and never try to take an easy route.
Retail Banking & Private Equity
Julia works as the Branch Manger at a global bank’s retail bank branch in Toronto. She is responsible for the branch’s overall business performance and maintains high standard of compliance of the branch’s practice. Prior to retail banking, she was a Senior Investment Analyst at a leading private equity firm in Canada.
Fintech & Data Analytics & Quant & Engineering
Hank is an engineering graduate from U of T with over two years’ experience in fintech and banking area. He is currently the Manager of Customer Analytics at a Canadian big five bank. His expertise include data driven strategy, profit optimization, process flow improvements, statistical modelling. He is especially interested in decision outcome optimization through quantitative methods.